Are you developing your staff into the leaders the construction industry needs today?
44% of women in construction have never had a women manager or role model.*
- If you don’t see others like you doing the role, it’s hard to see yourself getting there.
54% of women do not feel like they have the same opportunities as their counterparts who are men*
- 40% do not understand what it takes to advance*
Men often surpass women for leadership opportunities.
- Across the industry today, it takes longer for a woman to get to a leadership position than their counterparts who are men.
When women don’t see a progression path, they look for other opportunities.
- There is currently a talent shortage, and companies can’t afford to lose skilled professionals.
Investing in women construction professionals
- Addresses the talent shortage by focusing on employee retention and engagement. Instead of looking externally for talent, prepare your existing staff to step into leadership..
- Build strong networks by providing your staff with the opportunity to make connections and represent your company.
- Makes a statement that your organization is taking action to support women in leadership.
“We are facing talent shortage. It used to be about getting people in the door; now, it’s about engaging that talent. This course helped to do that.“
Regional Manager, Atlantic, Pomerleau
The talent shortage is one of the biggest challenges the construction industry is facing today.
Ambition Theory understands how stressful this can be. We can help you improve employee retention by developing leaders from the existing talent inside your organization.
Ambition Theory is featured in:
Ambition Theory includes professional coaching in all of our programs. Our coaches are certified by the International Coach Federation.
“The internal training at my company taught me about leadership skills. The coaching I received from Ambition Theory taught me the behavioural side of things. By combining the two, I learned how to step up and lead others.”
Senior Estimator, PCL Construction, Toronto
Our curriculum is based on the Canadian Construction Association’s Gold Seal standard
‘Gold Seal Certified (GSC) construction management professionals have attained the highest standard of excellence in the industry, have proven industry experience and are held in the highest regard. Companies that employ GSC professionals are seen as leaders for their commitment to quality and excellence through education, training, and continual skill development.’
When you bring women together, everyone benefits.
‘This course was so inspiring; it opened up participants’ eyes to opportunities to uplevel their current positions. People were still talking about it three months later. They came out of it with a whole new perspective of where they could take their careers.’
– Stephanie Wallace, Director, Ottawa Construction Association
‘I originally had some concerns about the training being only for women as I was worried it could perpetuate prejudices against men. However, seeing people like myself in similar roles with similar challenges validated that I wasn’t alone. Being in this setting allowed me to see that some of the traditional barriers women have faced in the construction industry are slowly fading. Don’t get me wrong, there are still barriers to overcome, but they don’t seem as impossible anymore. ‘
– Janice Teale, Municipal Group of Companies, Halifax
Leadership Foundations For Women In Construction
4-Week Introduction to Transformational Leadership
This interactive online course is an introduction to transformational leadership specifically for women construction professionals. It focuses on the behavioural side of leadership including social and emotional intelligence, influence, and relationship building.
4-Week Introduction to Transformational Leadership
The course starts on May 30, 2022.
The live Zoom sessions happen at noon Eastern Time on Friday, June 3, 10, and 17.
The Curriculum Includes
Leadership foundations for women in construction
WOMEN’S LEADERSHIP IN CONSTRUCTION
Transactional vs. transformational leadership models.
SPONSORSHIP VS. MENTORSHIP
How to create opportunities for yourself and others.
Understand your internal motivations and how to inspire other people.
THE LEADERSHIP MINDSET
How to manage self-doubt and imposter syndrome. How to think strategically.
LIVE ZOOM HOURS
To develop a plan to implement what you learned.
Learn from industry experts.
Build relationships with other women in construction.
Ambitious Every Day Journaling Pages
Accountability and Implementation Workshop
After the workshop, people will:
- Have an understanding of your leadership strengths and how to apply them in your current role.
- Have a vision for your career and how it fits in with your company’s goals.
- Understand why the gender gap exists in the construction industry and why women cannot solve this issue alone.
- Understand the difference between mentorship and sponsorship and how to find a sponsor for yourself.
- Develop an action plan to build relationships inside and outside of your organization.
- Be equipped with strategic thinking tools that can be applied at any level of your organization.
- Have a strategy to increase your confidence and influence within your organization.
Who should attend?
Professional women in construction and related industries at any level who are interested in progressing their careers. This includes project managers, project coordinators, estimators, superintendents, accounting professionals, HR professionals, etc.
Gold Seal Credits
Participants receive 2 Gold Seal Credit for participating.
How it works
This course follows a blended learning model and is a combination of self-guided online learning, live Zoom workshops, and Q&A sessions with women leaders from the construction industry.
The course starts on May 30, 2022. The live Zoom sessions happen at noon Eastern Time on Friday, June 3, 10, and 17.
Ambition Theory Founder, Andrea Janzen
Andrea is a Certified Executive Coach with an MBA, the host of the Ambition Theory Podcast, a Forbes contributor and a top-rated speaker.
She is passionate about coaching women in AEC to develop themselves, set leadership goals and get results. Since 2018, Andrea has coached and trained over 1,000 construction professionals.
Professional Coaching & Leadership Training for Women in Construction.
©2021 Ambition Theory